Nonna’s Tomato Passata (Tomato Sauce)
Availability varies by market
The light citrus hops of the Heineken match nicely with the deep tomato flavour of the sauce as well as helping to cut the slight spice from the red pepper flakes.
- 1 cup (250ml) olive oil
- 15 cloves of garlic, peeled and gently crushed
- 4-825ml cans of Italian whole tomatoes
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. (15g) Kosher salt
- In a large deep saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the olive oil and garlic cloves and cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic begins to turn golden brown.
- Add the red pepper flakes and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Empty the tomatoes into a large bowl, discard any basil and crush them with your hands.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot, increase the heat to medium, and gently simmer the sauce for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- After 4 hours, check for seasoning and add more salt if necessary.