Oven Roasted Eggplant with Mint and Toasted Peanuts
Availability varies by market
Including beer in your cooking is a great way to unlock new flavours, adding a whole new layer to your favourite recipes. The citrus notes in Belgian Moon match perfectly with the orange zest in this dish and the earthiness of the eggplant is complemented by the beer’s light spicy aroma and coriander notes.
- 4 med (450g) Japanese eggplants
- ¼ cup (120ml) Low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. (10g) Cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp. (15ml) Rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup (220ml) Belgian Moon (or fresh orange juice)
- 1 tsp (5ml) Sesame oil
- 1.5 pc (20g) Garlic smashed and peeled
- 2 tbsp. (10g) Fresh ginger peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp. (12g) Orange zest
- 20 pc (8g) Mint leaves fresh
- 5 tbsp. (50g) Toasted peanuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine all ingredients, except eggplants, mint and toasted peanuts in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Prick the eggplants several times with a fork and pull off the leaves. Cut in half lengthwise. On the open side of each half, make three deep diagonal slashes in each direction. Place eggplants skin side down in a 13-by-9-by-2-inch oval dish.
- Spoon 1 ½ teaspoons of the marinade over each eggplant half. Rub the marinade into the flesh so that it runs into the cuts. Turn eggplants skin side up. Pour remaining marinade into dish. Let stand for 45 min – 2 hours.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and cook eggplants on a baking sheet for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and uncover. Spoon any remaining sauce over eggplants.
- Transfer to a large platter and top with toasted peanuts and mint.