Penne with Mozzarella and Tomato Passata
Availability varies by market
Including beer in your cooking is a great way to unlock new flavours, adding a whole new layer to your favourite recipes. The light acidity from the Molson Canadian balances the creamy cheesiness from the mozzarella and complement the tomato flavours of the dish.
- 500g penne
- ¼ cup (65ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cups (750ml) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (110ml) Molson Canadian (if not using beer, add an additional cup of tomato sauce)
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ cup (10g) basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 400g fresh buffalo mozzarella (cut into cubes)
- ½ cup (120g) freshly grated Parmesan
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the penne for 8-10 minutes until tender but firm to the tooth.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat and add the garlic, stirring frequently for about 1 minute.
- Add the Molson Canadian and reduce by half (optional).
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until slightly reduced.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain into a colander, and add to the tomato sauce along with the basil and mozzarella.
- When the mozzarella has melted slightly, serve and top with the grated Parmesan and black pepper.