Availability varies by market
Old Style Pilsner
The wonderful hoppy flavour of the Olde Style Pilsner is a perfect compliment to the deep beef flavours of the roast beef and the au jus.
- 1 – 3 bone standing beef roast, 3-4 kg
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) vegetable oil
- 6 shallots, peeled and sliced
- ½ bunch thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup (125ml) balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups (750ml) beef stock
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season the beef roast generously with salt and pepper and rub with the chopped garlic. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Place the roast fat side up on a roasting rack set in a roasting pan and roast for 4-6 hours, or until it reaches 120 degrees Fahrenheit on an instant read thermometer.
- Meanwhile, set a saucepan over medium high heat and add the oil and the shallots. Cook the shallots until caramelized and soft. Season with salt.
- Add the thyme, bay leaves and balsamic vinegar and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the beef stock, bring to a boil and then lower heat until it is gently simmering. Cook until the liquid reduces to about 2 cups, about 10 minutes.
- Strain the sauce through a fine mesh sieve and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the beef from the oven, tent loosely with foil and let rest for at least 30 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Return the beef to the oven and roast until it forms a dark brown crust, about 8-10 minutes.
- Slice the beef and serve with the au jus sauce.