Roasted Chicken with Apple and Brussels Sprout Slaw
Availability varies by market
Rickard's Red IPA
Including beer in your cooking is a great way to unlock new flavours, adding a whole new layer to your favourite recipes. The robust hoppy flavour of the Rickard’s IPA complements the rich roasted flavours of the dish. The light caramel sweetness from the beer is also a nice match with the Brussels sprout slaw.
- 1 kg whole chicken
- 1 bottle (355ml) Rickard's Red IPA (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup (80ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. (15mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. (5ml) honey
- ⅔ cup (160ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 250g Brussels sprouts, washed and trimmed
- 2 large Honey crisp apples, cored and julienned
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse the chicken well and dry both the inside and outside well with paper towel.
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper and place on a roasting pan. Add Rickard's Red IPA to the roasting pan (optional)
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until golden brown. An instant read thermometer should read 160 degrees Fahrenheit when inserted into the thigh.
- Remove from oven and let rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and honey until well combined. Slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking continuously until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using the thinnest blade disc attachment of your food processor, thinly shave and slice the Brussels sprouts. Alternately, slice the Brussels sprouts thinly with a sharp knife.
- Place the shredded Brussels sprouts in a large salad bowl and add the chopped apple.
- Dress the salad with the vinaigrette, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with the roast chicken.