Availability varies by market
The malty flavour and caramel sweetness from the Rickard’s Red match perfectly with the brown sugar and maple syrup in the BBQ glaze.
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 4 jalapeños, seeded and julienned
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. (15g) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) maple syrup
- 1 cup (250ml) cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp. (90ml) ketchup
- 1 tbsp. (15g) salt
- 1 tsp. (5g) black pepper
- 2 tsp. (10g) red chili flakes
- 4 tsp. (20g) smoked paprika
- In a saucepan, sweat the onions, jalapeno and garlic until softened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, maple syrup, vinegar, ketchup, salt, pepper, chili flakes and paprika and cook for 10-15 minutes until thickened.
- Blend with an immersion blender until smooth, strain through a fine metal sieve and refrigerate until needed.